Welcome to the 21st episode of the Kards Podcast!
This week – With draft mode coming soon, I wanted to pass along 2 card game theories from Marshall Sutcliffe’s Limited Resources modified for KARDS – Quadrant Theory and Cards that Affect the Battlefield
The four areas of a game of Kards (constructed or limited) are very similar to Magic: The Gathering:
When drafting or constructing your deck these are good questions to answer.
- How many cards do you have that are good in the first ~4 turns of the game? (Developing)
- What do you have to break board stalls or get ahead on cards? (Parity)
- If both players survive at a reasonable life total and it’s turn 8-10, do you have a good plan? (Parity)
- If you fall behind, how can you come back? (Behind)
- When you’re ahead, do you have good ways to continue to apply pressure? (Ahead)
These questions help address the holes that your deck needs to fill and can help give you an idea of your deck’s gameplan.
- Aggressive decks tend to lean heavily on the developing and ahead quadrants
- Midrange decks tend to be better at Parity and are good at Ahead and Behind. Most draft decks are some flavor of midrange.
- Control decks don’t care about the ahead quadrant, but they need to be great in the behind quadrant and good in development.
Coming out of Quadrant Theory is the idea of decks made exclusively out of Cards that Affect the Battlefield (CABs). CABs decks are typically midrange decks. These kinds of decks focus on (in this order):
- Buff Orders
- Minimal draw/ramp
Here are some tips to follow when making a CABs deck:
- Have a good curve. Prioritize 2, 3, and 4 slots for units
- Avoid 7+ drops
- 20-24 units
- Avoid build-arounds, low-impact countermeasures, sole HQ defense cards
- Keep it simple – low setup that don’t require anything else
- Focus on attacking the opposing HQ
- “Prioritize “solid doubles” over “strikeout/home run” cards. This means that you want cards that are consistently good rather than cards that are sometimes very good but sometimes very bad.”
Interact, Support the Show
News and Notes
- KardsPodcast is taking Season 4 (July) off.
Contact the Show
Ways to Listen
- Pocket Casts
- Google Play
- KARDS Podcast RSS Feed
- Break down of all cards in the base set of KARDS
- Download This Episode